Friday 14 February 2014

INCREDIBLE TANZANIA


 

 

I look back on my trip to Tanzania and it still feels like it was only yesterday that I was there.  It is so hard to comprehend, just how much a trip to Tanzania stays in your heart, days, months and years later.


If I could, I would return there tomorrow.   When I returned, someone said to me “ I guess seeing the game in Africa is a bit like seeing the game in our Canadian Rockies, eh?”.  As much as I love our Rockies and all that they have to offer, the quantity of wildlife you see on a safari is about 10,000 times more.  Unimaginable until you actually see it.



I remember driving through the Serengeti http://www.serengeti.org   in a jeep and out of the blue a female giraffe walks the road beside our vehicle. Then 5 minutes further down the road, is 1000 wildebeests and zebras crossing the road.

 

A little further along is a watering hole with 20 lions rolling over in satisfaction, having just consumed most of a Cape Buffalo, with the remains left for the vultures or the hyenas.



lazy lioness after a feed

 

 

It was a bit comical because by the end of our safari, when our guide pointed out a herd of elephants at Ngorongoro Crater http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/39     , we dismissed the stop in pursuit of something we hadn’t yet seen.  I am not sure what that was as I think that we saw almost every bird, reptile and mammal in Tanzania.

 

Our week in Zanzibar was also a real treat after a busy safari.  Stone town is certainly worth at least one day of your time to roam the streets. We were quite surprised at how safe we felt as we wound our way through the alleys and narrow streets.  It tested our imagination of what it was to live in the 1700’s in this unique and Arab city when Royalty lived in the palaces and mansions.

 



Beautiful sunset at Spice Island Resort Zanzibar

 

 

What are some of your memories of Tanzania and Zanzibar that stood out?

 

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment